Senior Program Specialist or Senior Program Officer – Information and Networks
Location: Cairo, Egypt
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC), a Canadian Crown corporation, supports research in developing regions of the world to promote growth and development. The result is innovative, lasting local solutions that bring choice and change to those who need it most. We are seeking a dynamic, strategic, innovative leader to join our management team.
The Information and Networks (I&N) program explores the positive and negative impacts of widespread access to mobile telephones and the Internet in developing countries. I&N works to promote positive social and economic change, particularly in the areas of creative industries, governance, learning, and science.
As the Senior Program Specialist or Senior Program Officer, reporting to the Program Leader (based in Ottawa) and the Regional Director (based in Cairo), a key member of our multi-disciplinary team, you will identify critical research issues such as the impact of the internet and other novel forms of communications technologies on political movements, learning, entrepreneurship and scientific production. You will also take the lead in developing, managing, monitoring and evaluating a portfolio of research projects in these areas. In particular, you will be identifying and engaging with researchers in the Middle East and North Africa to ensure that they can actively participate in research networks and activities within I&N’s thematic areas. Moreover, you would be expected to collaborate on flagship research activities within the areas of open education, digital activism, open government, online censorship and privacy, open science, intellectual property rights and/or digital inclusion.
· Bilingual position (English/French) at an intermediate level
· Working knowledge of Arabic
· Strong knowledge of information society issues in developing countries, with particular expertise in one or more of the following areas:
· Knowledge of procedures used by international funders
· Knowledge of organizations and institutions working on information society issues
· Understanding of research methods and approaches, including strategies for effectively communicating research results and linking research to policy
· Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation strategies and methods
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
· Strong planning, organization, problem-solving, coordination and negotiation skills
· Ability to work as a member of a virtual team and under pressure
· Ability to establish, manage, guide and monitor relationships with diverse stakeholders
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team of people from diverse cultures, expertise and experiences
· Ability to provide specialized advice and guidance to external contacts
· Ability to work from a people centered perspective
· Awareness of and sensitivity to individual, gender and cultural differences
This position requires a willingness to travel internationally, an average of 60-90 days per year.
· PhD and a record of publication in an area of applied research related to information sciences, information society studies, telecommunications or communication studies preferably as applied to the developing world OR a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and significant work experience
This position requires eight years relevant experience, which includes:
· Conducting and managing research projects from project design to project implementation and evaluation in developing regions
· Establishing and building organizational partnerships
· Designing and delivering research and/or development capacity building activities
· Communicating research and research results to different audiences including the Canadian and the development community
· Significant work experience in Middle East and North Africa
Note: Candidates with less experience may be considered for appointment at the level of Senior Program Officer ($84,940 - $102,337)
If you are interested in a career with a lasting impact, we invite you to join our team of talented and motivated professionals operating in a stimulating, multicultural, learning environment.
For more information about this opportunity and how to apply, visit:www.idrc.ca/careers.
Application Deadline: January 9, 2012