The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a competent, dynamic individual to represent the Institute in Myanmar. The person will be responsible for establishing and consolidating IWMI's presence in Myanmar by developing and implementing a program of research for development projects to improve the management of water, land and ecosystems, and to improve livelihoods; and for supporting the establishment of the CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE), and its activities in the Greater Mekong Sub-region (a focal region of WLE). The position holder will initially be based at IWMI's Southeast Asia (IWMI-SEA) Regional Office in Vientiane, Lao PDR, with regular visits to Myanmar; and will report to the Director, Asia. In the long-term, the selected candidate will be based in Yangon, Myanmar. This position will be filled at the level of Senior / Principal Researcher.
You will be responsible for:
IWMI representation and business development
· Maintain knowledge of Myanmar, the political economy of the country and development requirements in relation to poverty alleviation, natural resource management, agriculture, food security and livelihoods.
· Represent IWMI in the country and in the region, maintaining strong working relationships with research partners, donors, national and regional authorities and other stakeholders (in conjunction with the Director, Asia, and Director General)..
· Work closely with the Director, Asia/Director, Business Development/Theme Leaders/Researchers to actively develop new research for development programs and project proposals, and seek opportunities for funding for the development of research activities in Myanmar in collaboration with the Director, Asia.
· Represent IWMI and WLE in the country, maintaining (in conjunction with the Director, Asia; Head, IWMI- SEA; Deputy Director General – Research; and the Director General) strong working relationships with research partners, donors, protocol authorities and other stakeholders; and attend local, national and regional meetings, as necessary.
· Have awareness of the activities of IWMI, WLE and other CGIAR Research Programs in Myanmar and throughout the Southeast Asia region; and seek opportunities to work with project leaders to develop and implement collaborative projects, which include a component for research activities in Myanmar.
· Promote the uptake of IWMI research outputs in coordination with the Institute's uptake staff and Research Division.
· Facilitate the country/sub-regional-level communications/outreach activities.
Office administration and management
· Oversee activities of IWMI's Myanmar office (hosted by the International Rice Research Institute [IRRI]), including the professional and support staff.
· Maintain a strong relationship with IRRI, which hosts IWMI in the country. In the long-term, work towards securing an independent office for IWMI in Yangon.
· Work closely with the Director, Asia, to secure agreements with key ministries in the country, including the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, and the Ministry of Transport, among others, as appropriate.
· Develop and sustain relationships with project partners, other water-related organizations, universities, research organizations (including other CGIAR centers), local and international nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and water and agriculture ministries and departments operating in the country.
· Liaise on IWMI's research initiatives, projects and/or themes with relevant parties within the Institute, and with partner institutes, governments and donors.
Research development and implementation
· Provide leadership in conceptual and empirical research related to improving sustainable water, land and natural resource management in developing countries.
· Conduct research to build an understanding across a range of issues related to water, land, agriculture and natural resource management in the specific context of Myanmar, a country emerging from decades of isolation and developing rapidly.
· Integrate research findings into effective policy recommendations, and disseminate information through relevant guidelines and policy briefs, etc.
· Initiate, develop and sustain collaboration with partners in Myanmar and elsewhere in Southeast Asia, as well as internationally, where appropriate.
· Contribute to guiding IWMI's research portfolio through knowledge of agriculture and natural resource issues in Myanmar.
You will possess:
· a PhD or equivalent and at least 10 years of experience in an area relevant to IWMI's research portfolio (e.g., international development, water resources management, development economics, livelihoods, policy and institutions or similar);
· demonstrated experience in business development, program management and administrative procedures, and budgeting;
· experience of developing and leading research for development teams with multiple partners and multiple disciplines from both advanced research institutes and developing countries;
· experience of living and/or working in Myanmar or Southeast Asia, with extensive knowledge of water, agriculture and other natural resource management issues in the region;
· strong strategic planning skills and the ability to develop strategic initiatives;
· strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to establish, cultivate and maintain effective networks and working relations with key stakeholders and partners (the government, donors, academic institutions, civil society and other key stakeholders);
· demonstrated skills in managing programs and personnel, including experience of forming, operating in and leading interdisciplinary teams that have delivered high-quality outputs on time and according to budgets;
· strong written and oral communication skills, including the capacity to write proposals, reports and academic papers, and to communicate research results to stakeholders at different management levels in multiple countries;
· capacity to work with and influence partners, especially senior decision makers at national and regional levels;
· ability to liaise with key donor agencies; and
· proven organizational skills and strong networking ability.
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary that in most cases is tax free* and a benefits package that includes a housing allowance, transport, education, shipping assistance, annual home leave, retirement and health insurance. IWMI's policy is to appoint staff initially on three-year contracts which are subject to renewal, depending on performance and the Institute's needs.
* Tax-free salary and benefits are paid in US dollars. The employee is responsible for any taxes assessed by their country of citizenship or permanent residence.
We would appreciate it very much if you could assist us in our search for a suitable candidate by making this vacancy announcement known to colleagues and others whom you think might be interested and suitable to apply.
Closing date: July 07, 2014
To apply for the post : www.iwmi.cgiar.org/jobs
For information about IWMI visit : http://www.iwmi.org
Thanks and Regards
Human Resources Administrator
International Water Management Institute
127 Sunil Mawatha
General Tel: +94 11 2880000/ Ext :2130