Call for local partners for the National Youth Forum on Green Solutions Bhutan, 21-23 December 2012
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalayas (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan – and based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
ICIMOD values the potential role that young people can play in promoting sustainable mountain development. To inform, empower, and involve youth from the region in the development process, ICIMOD has implemented more than 48 major events dedicated to youth engagement since the launch of the Youth for Sustainable Mountain Development (Y4SMD) initiative in August 2009. One of the major activities under this initiative is the organization of Youth Forums at national, regional, and global levels. Since 2010, Youth Forums and other capacity building events under the Y4SMD initiative have trained over 300 youth. Plans to promote similar activities in the future include National Youth Forums in Pakistan and Myanmar in November 2012 and Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, and Nepal in December 2012. ICIMOD would also like to team up with a local partner to organize a National Youth Forum in Bhutan in December 2012.
What are National Youth Forums?
National Youth Forums are a two to three-day capacity building events, driven by young champions of green solutions in their own country. These forums allow youth to share knowledge and network as well as listen to expert accounts of global and regional efforts for sustainable mountain development. A typical National Youth Forum includes the following components:
· Technical session: Local experts present local issues and their global linkages (2–5 presentations: 30 minutes each)
· Motivational session: ICIMOD and local experts (2 presentations: 15 minutes each)
· Knowledge management, group work, experience sharing, and social networking sessions (2–4 sessions: 2 hours each)
· Field visit to demonstrate local efforts for sustainable mountain development (Half or full day depending on the site)
· Intergenerational Sustainability Dialogue on Developing Green Solutions in the Changing World bringing together youth from schools and colleges, teachers, and representatives of NGOs, the government, and local communities (2 hours)
· Opening and closing sessions featuring representatives from local organizations, ICIMOD, senior government officials, and participants (1.5 hours each)
ICIMOD strives to ensure that at least 30% of the selected participants come from a rural background and the gender division of participants is equal.
If you have any queries or would like to host a similar event in your country, please contact: · Anja Møller Rasmussen, Programme Manager, Integrated Knowledge Management (IKM) and Himalayan University Consortium (HUC), ICIMOD and Tek Jung Mahat, Initiative Leader, ICIMOD email@example.com