Call for Papers:
Australian Political Studies Association
Pre-Conference Workshop on
The Future of Environmental Movements
When: 9am-5pm, Sunday 28 September 2014
Where: University of Sydney
Organizers: Prof David Schlosberg (University of Sydney), Dr. Adam Simpson (University of South Australia), Prof Robyn Eckersley (University of Melbourne)
Sponsors: Australian Political Studies Association Environmental Politics and Policy Research Group, Sydney Environment Institute (sydney.edu.au/sei)
Aims: This full-day Pre-Conference Workshop will provide a forum for participants to present research, discuss, and explore the current pressures facing environmental movements and new practices, strategies, and identities being developed in Australia and globally.
Synopsis: This workshop is designed to:
• provoke theoretical reflection upon, and analysis of, deep-seated changes in social movement forms, foci, and behaviour in the environmental domain in response to broad societal transformations relating to climate change, fiscal crises and economic inequality, the increasing criminalisation of activism, attention to supply chains, shifting modes of communication, and more.
• consider challenges for the public and political mobilization and representation of environmental issues, and for the study of such movements, in the first half of the 21st century,
• create a space for dialogue and debate about these changes and challenges between academics, activists, and policy practitioners in the environment movement, relevant government agencies, and the formal political sphere,
• attract media attention to, and generate public discussion about, the changing nature and institutional dimensions of environmental politics, and
• explore the development of collaborative groups and potential funding for projects.
Paper Proposals: We welcome proposals and presentations that reflect on a broad range of topics related to the future of environmental activism and movements. Activists and agency practitioners, as well as academics, are encouraged to propose a contribution.
Deadlines: Paper proposals (title and 100-250 word abstract) are welcomed until 1 March 2014. Proposals should be submitted online. Participants with accepted papers will be notified by 1 April 2014. For academic participants, full papers need to be submitted by 1 September 2014.
Logistical details: There is no fee for this workshop. Participants are requested to attend for the whole day, if possible. The event will provide registered participants with refreshments, a buffet lunch, and early evening drinks reception. Apologies, but we cannot offer support for travel.
The event will be held immediately prior to the Australian Political Studies Association Annual Conference at the University of Sydney. Participants are welcome to register and participate in this event as well (registration fees apply). The Environmental Politics and Policy Research Group will be coordinating a set of panels for the conference, and we welcome proposals on a full range of environmental politics topics. Use the same proposal link as above to proposal a paper on any topic in environmental politics and policy.
Any questions, feel free to contact me.
School of Social and Political Sciences
Room 270 Merewether Building (HO4)
The University of Sydney
P 61 2 9036 7094| F 61 2 9351 3624