National Youth Forum on Green Solutions in Bangladesh, 11, 18-19 December 2012
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) values the potential role that young people can play in promoting sustainable mountain development in the greater Himalaya region. Through the Youth Engagement in Sustainable Mountain Development (Y4SMD) initiative, ICIMOD has been informing and empowering youth from the Asia Pacific region and building their capacity to bring about positive changes in society. The Y4SMD network is made up of over 4,000 youth from the region and beyond, with a majority from ICIMOD’s eight regional member countries – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. To date, the Y4SMD initiative has implemented over 50 major youth events, including a Global Youth Forum at the Rio+20 Summit in Brazil in June 2012.
The National Youth Forum on Green Solutions in Bangladesh, organized by ICIMOD, our Youth Forum Alumni in Bangladesh and Green Hill, aims:
· To take ICIMOD’s youth initiative at national and local level and promote youth actions.
· To promote SMD relevant education and discussions in Bangladesh among youth living in mountainous areas.
· To share widely SMD relevant outcome of the Rio+20 Conference, UNFCCC COP18 and APGYF 2012
· To enhance youth capacity to understand mountain issues and develop green solutions.
· To initiative a process of developing a mountain conscious youth network in Bangladesh.
- Technical and training sessions
- Paper presentations and discussions on the role of youth in the emerging green economy in the Hilly Regions of Bangladesh.
- Tour of sites that exhibit climate-friendly practices.
- Poster presentation highlighting ‘International Mountain Day 2012’.
· Improved understanding of local youth about mountainous issues like geo-environmental hazards, climate change and sustainable agriculture etc.
· Establishment of mountain development dedicated youth’s network in Bangladesh.
· Success replication of ICIMOD’s Youth Forum at national level.
· Create a focal point in Bangladesh for national, regional and international collaboration and cooperation on sustainable hill management among youth.
Call for application:
Bangladeshi youth who are interested in participating in the forum and meet the eligibility criteria outlined below are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
- Applicants must be:
- Bangladeshi nationals
- 18–29 years of age
- From or currently residing in any districts of the country, but youths from Hilly Regions will get preference.
- Applications must be submitted through the online system HERE no later than 02 December 2012.
- Applicants will be selected by a small committee of experts. Selected applicants will be notified by 5 December 2012.
- The organizers will cover expenses related to participation in the National Youth Forum (roundtrip travel, food, and lodging).
For further information, please write to Marufa Ishaque at email@example.com.
Keep track of ICIMOD youth events and announcements:
Subscribe to the Mountain Forum/Asia Pacific Mountain Network at www.mtnforum.org/en/users.
Please kindly circulate this announcement in your networks.